alanwilliamson

Zimbra upgrade to 4.5.10; Major ldap problems

We have been running with Zimbra 4.5.5 for some time now, with no problems. The system is running on a Dell server, Fedora 4. Apart from a little hiccup last summer, you can pretty much forget about it.

With version 4.5.10 now released, it was worth looking at upgrading. Since one of our users couldn't access their email via their Nokia handset, and it was confirmed with this bug 21313, now seemed a good time as any to upgrade.

Looking around all the documentation prior to doing this, no major problems was reported. Infact, great play was made at how easy the upgrade process was going to be. Keeping all existing users and mailboxes without any fear of loss. Well, just incase, i made a complete directory backup of /opt/zimbra/ before entrusting the upgrade script.

That was a decision that proved to be my savior.

I shutdown all the services and made sure no processes were running. Next I ran the upgrade script and it took only about 20 minutes, and it was completed. No errors were reported on the console or the upgrade log.

With all services running, everything looked fine, so I logged in. Failed. My heart sunk; all my users had been lost. A quick look at mysql, I confirmed all the users were there. However, I couldn't login in with my admin or personal accounts. That pointed to an ldap problem.

A very handy utility that I found was zmprov. Login as 'zimbra' and run that command. You will then be kicked into a shell, to which you type gaa. This should list all the users you have on your system. If it doesn't then you have a problem with ldap.

To restore the ldap database I performed the following:

  1. Shutdown all the zimbra services; killing them manually if need be
  2. Restored the file /opt/zimbra/conf/localconfig.xml from my shadow backup directory
  3. Deleted everything in the /opt/zimbra/openldap-data/ directory
  4. Restored that directory from the shadow backup
  5. Restart zimbra

After doing all that, everything burst into life. The server began accepting email again and users could log back in again. All was well in the world again.

The moral of the tale; make sure you do a backup, you just never know when you will need it!


 

Recent Cloud posts

Recent JAVA posts

Latest CFML posts


 
Site Links