Yesterday evening I ordered a new Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard to go with my Nokia N800. I ordered this on recommendation from a number on the mailing list that this keyboard worked flawlessly without any problems. Ironically, after receiving it, I noted it was the same one that I had many years ago for my iPAQ, except it had a docking station.
It arrived this morning in record time and once I got through the packaging tried to pair it with the N800. No joy.
After a little Google'ing around I discovered this post that had a number of people with the same problem but thankfully a few helpful souls gave the steps.
Here is what you need to do:
- Goto the Control Panel of your N800 and select the 'Generic' keyboard in the hardware keyboard setting
- Goto the Bluetooth panel of your N800 and search for new devices.
- Assuming it finds the Stowaway keyboard, it will ask you to pair it
- Now, note the passcode number as you are about to type it on the keyboard
- Click OK on the N800, and then on the keyboard, hold down CTRL+FN keys and type in your passcode
- The N800 should now respond saying its paired
Make sure you get the order correct, as that tripped me up a number of times.
It's a great keyboard and works fast with the N800, allowing me to rattle out many an email and also SSH into my servers.